Quick Facts


  • Built by English settlers sometime between 1675 and 1690 on land patented in 1671 to Henry Aldridge, a former indentured servant, Old Trinity Church is widely recognized as the oldest church building in the United States still used for regular worship (see About Us).
  • Situated on Church Creek, the “Church in Dorchester Parish” underwent restorations in the 1850s (when it was first called “Trinity”) and again a century later (1953-1960) when Col. Edgar Garbisch and his wife, Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, restored the church in honor of her parents, Walter Percy Chrysler & Della Viola Chrysler, in keeping with its 17th century heritage (see A Place of Restoration).
  • The “Old Graveyard” features six veterans of the American Revolution, four from the War of 1812, and several veterans from both sides of the Civil War. Persons of any faith may purchase a burial plot in the nearby Cemetery.
  • On the right side of the church is the “Miller’s Grave,” a local 18th century miller, marked with his millstones. On the dock side is the grave of Anna Ella Carroll (1815-1894), “shadow member” of Lincoln’s cabinet and other members of her family, including her Father, Maryland Governor Thomas King Carroll (see Graveyard & Cemetery).
  • To the east of the church along the shoreline stands the Vesting House, a colonial style structure built during the last restoration, that once served as the sacristy and vesting area for the church’s clergy and lay ministers.
  • The pier is occasionally used by those who like to come to church by boat as well as by recreational boaters who come to enjoy the grounds.
  • The entrance to the churchyard features a Lychgate, a common feature of many English graveyards, where traditionally clergy meet coffins before burial.
  • The churchyard features an inviting network of public walkways, including the “River Walk and Contemplation Garden,” dedicated to S. Proctor Rodgers (1901-1984), who long admired the beauty and historic connection of church and river.
  • A “Living Shoreline” planted by community volunteers in 2008, stretches along Church Creek, protecting the churchyard from further erosion, and creating a welcoming environment for many indigenous species of plant and animal life (see Community Partners).
  • Stewardship of the 85 acre glebe (church lands), whereon sit the church, graveyard/cemetery, shoreline, farmland, and rectory is in the hands of the Vestry of Dorchester Parish.
  • Old Trinity’s mission statement is simple: “A Place of Restoration,” a reference not only to its architectural history, but also to the spiritual restoration that many experience here (see Our Mission).
  • For more information or to plan a tour of the church, contact the Rector (rector@oldtrinity.net) or call the church office (410-228-2940) and leave a detailed message (see Plan Your Visit).